Fiberglass Repair ~ Stress Cracks

This video is part 3 of a series on fiberglass that focuses on how to repair a very common type of damage in preparation of applying a new non-skid surface using Awlgrip paint. Stress cracks can be identified as long(er) parallel surface cracks on the hull or deck. Most common location for these to occur is on corners and radius’s where the layup of fiberglass is typically thinner, and the amount of resin is usually more than what it should be.

The materials used in this episode include laminating polyester resin for the glass layup, 1.5oz fiberglass chopped strand matting and AdTech P-14 Ultra Filler (white). There are a number of retailers where you can source out these supplies but two of my favorites are Jamestown Distributors and Express Composites. Both are family owned and provide excellent pricing and service.

The previous episode (Part 2) covers other types of fiberglass repairs such as filling small and medium sized holes, dealing with gelcoat chips and voids.

If you have any questions or comments on what was explained in this video please post them below and I’ll get right back to ya!

Thanks for watching!

~Andy

Comments
16 Responses to “Fiberglass Repair ~ Stress Cracks”
  1. Doug says:

Andy, this is very informative. I have enjoyed several of your videos. Could you please tell me what weight of CSM you are using?

2. Scott Moore says:

Hello Andy on repairing stress cracks , could i use the West system with fiberglass mat to repair low cut out areas. i have never used or have any knowledge of what you used ? what is the advantage of the process you used and why? thanks

• ~Andy ~Andy says:

Hi Scott,

For your project I think the best place to start would be to see a few pics of what you’re trying to repair 🙂 Depending on what you would like to use for a finished surface (paint or gelcoat) there are different materials used in the repair process.. When you have a chance please post the pics on my Facebook page

Thank you!

~Andy

3. mark soule says:

hey andy,love your videos,I got a 1984 bayliner trophy,cant wait to fix it up,need some direction shall we say,do you know if old bayliners were paint finish or gel coat?if paint I can follow your process for stress cracks, but if gel coat,well you got any videos for that. There is some areas of crazing, does that happen with paint and gelcoat

• ~Andy ~Andy says:

Hi Mark, sorry it’s taken me a bit to get back with you on this; it is un-real how many spam comments I get (about 500 per day) and every once in a while unfortunately things get missed 🙁 Bayliners were gelcoat. You can find the factory match colors from Spectrum Color. I will be doing a very detailed set of vids on gelcoat over the Winter. Hopefully they will come in time for your project! In the mean time, in you check out my Facebook page (www.facebook/boatworkstoday) someone recently posted some pics of the repairs they did on their Bayliner. There are a lot of pics in the photo album but from what I could see they did a pretty decent job. Might be worth asking some questions to the original poster..

• mark soule says:

hey andy cute little girl or what, its the souleman again, these stress cracks are in an area about 8 ft long and from the rub rail up to the top deck (4 inchs). should that be sanded down to the original glass and add more glass for strenght, then gelcoat or would paint be better for greenhorns.I am doing lots of reserch and want to do this rjght so I need to be clear on which processes to use.Thanks for everything

• ~Andy ~Andy says:

Try sending me a couple of pics so I can see what’s going on 🙂 The process really depends on if they are single cracks running lengthwise or a series of them indicating that more reinforcement needs to be applied…

4. Judi says:

Hi Andy, I have to repair a large area of deck on our boat with is crazed everywhere with large and small cracks. Please let me know where I can find info. on how to deal with these. Thanks! Great videos!

5. Kenny says:

Can you please tell me where to get a brush attachment similiar to the one on the you tube video for my 7″ polisher to clean and polish the non skid gel coat. I can’t seem to find one online. Thanks, Awesome videos!

6. Larry Wills says:

Hi Andy,

I ordered the 1.5 CSM for my stress crack repairs. I am have problems finding the 1708 for the more structural fixes. Any info where to buy the 1708? Also I am following your advise to stay with polyester resin laminating on all repairs. Should I go to epoxy resin anywhere or just stay with the polyester? My boat is an Albin Vega 1976, she was built with all polyester resins.

• ~Andy ~Andy says:

Hi Larry,

Depending on your location try getting the 1708 from one of these 3 sources. Fibreglast.com, uscomposites.com or expresscomposites.com

If you’re intending to finish the surface with gelcoat then you won’t want to use epoxy at any point of the repair process; you’re limited to using polyester based products. If you’ll be painting then it doesn’t make any difference 🙂

Hope this helps!

~Andy

7. Rick says:

Hi Andy i got lucky and found your video there’s a hole in my boat .It’s awesome very informative ,any way im a 60 year plumber who has never had a boat but not i do and the transon is cracked it has a 85 hp motor on it any ideas how to fix that act8ualy this boat is really rough but thanks to your videos i think theres hope.ill send pictures this week end if its ok ?

8. Gus says:

Hi andy
    Im having lots of problems trying to repair my 27ft cc proline the deck by the rear of the keeps getting crck keep rapairing it and it keeps cracking in rough seas i dont know what to do any more can you help please ?

• ~Andy ~Andy says:

Most likely you’re dealing with an area that has a lot of resin and not much glass which is making it brittle. You’ll probably need to grind out the area (not just the cracks) and lay in some new glass to reinforce the area. Not a difficult project as long as it’s not a large area 🙂